Ms. Betty Moore Sandler has become associated with Northern Virginia Law in an Of Counsel capacity for the purpose of continuing her legal practice in family law, primarily utilizing her vast experience on complex family law cases as well as international custody and visitation matters.
She has developed and honed her family law practice over the last 30 years. During this time, she has become a Fellow of the International Academy of Family Lawyers (IAFL), a past board member of the U.S. Chapter, serving for more than six years on the Admissions Committee. She is a Fellow of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers (AAML) a former National Board member for more than 10 years and a past President of the Virginia Chapter.
A graduate of the University of Kentucky and University of Kentucky College of Law, Ms. Sandler is admitted to practice in the Commonwealth of Kentucky and U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Kentucky (1981), the U.S. Supreme Court (1985), the Commonwealth of Virginia (1986), the U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Eastern District of Virginia (1990), and the U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Virginia (2014).
Ms. Sandler has received a number of awards. She has been consistently listed among the top divorce attorneys in the metropolitan Washington DC area including being named: One of Top 20 Divorce Lawyers in Washington, D.C. area by Washingtonian Magazine; One of Top 25 Female Lawyers in VA by Super Lawyers Magazine (May 2006 and profiled July 2008); Listed in Virginia Super Lawyers (May 2006-present); Listed in DC Super Lawyers (2007 to present); Listed in Best lawyers in America (2005 to present).
She has held other leadership positions in state-wide organizations, serving as CLE Chair and Vice-Chair of the Family Law Section of the Virginia Trial Lawyers Association; board member and officer of the Family Law Section, Virginia State Bar (VSB); and Vice-Chair of 5th District Disciplinary Committee (VSB). Ms. Sandler is active in committee work for numerous state and local bar organizations including the Virginia CLE Family Law Practice Area Advisory Group and the Virginia Coalition of Family Law Legislation. She is a past president of the McLean (Virginia) Bar Association and was the founding President of the Prince William County Bar Foundation.
Dedicated to the principles of improving the practice and raising the standards of family law practice, Ms. Sandler has authored many articles on family law matters for the Virginia State Bar and Virginia Trial Lawyers Association publications. Ms. Sandler regularly participates as a panelist and moderator for Continuing Legal Education seminars on domestic relations and ethics.
- Family Law 100%
- Commonwealth of Kentucky, 1981
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Kentucky, 1981
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1985
- Commonwealth of Virginia, 1986
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Eastern District of Virginia, 1990
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Virginia, 2014
- University of Kentucky College of Law
- University of Kentucky
- Top 20 Divorce Lawyers in Washington, D.C. area, Washingtonian Magazine;
- Top 25 Female Lawyers in Virginia, Super Lawyers Magazine – 2006 and profiled July 2008
- Super Lawyer, Virginia Super Lawyers – 2006 to the present
- Super Lawyer, Washington, D.C. Super Lawyers – 2007
- Best Lawyers in America – 2005
- Fellow, International Academy of Family Lawyers (IAFL)
- Past Board Member of U.S. Chapter
- Admissions Committee Member (6 years)
- Fellow, American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers (AAML)
- Past President – Virginia Chapter
- Virginia Trial Lawyers Association, Family Law Section
- CLE Chair
- Vice Chair
- Virginia State Bar, Family Law Section
- Board Member
- Virginia State Bar
- Vice-Chair of 5th District Disciplinary Committee
- Virginia Coalition of Family Law Legislation
- Virginia CLE Family Law Practice Area Advisory
- McLean (Virginia) Bar Association
- Past President
- Prince William County Bar Foundation
- Founding President
- Prince William County Bar Association