Dougherty Tobias Iszard, Northern Virginia Law, P.C.

tell us your story703-639-4706

for Personal Injury and Criminal Defense cases.

What unmarried fathers can do to get parenting time

If you are an unmarried father to a young child (or even an infant) it may be particularly frustrating to be kept from seeing your child by an angry or vindictive mother. After all, you are not running from your responsibilities, you are working and doing the best you can to provide, and you are listed on the child's birth certificate as the biological father. Yet you are essentially subjected to being a glorified babysitter.

So what can you do? After all, you must have some rights, right?

To a certain extent this is true. Unmarried fathers must petition the court to have their legal rights to custody and parenting time established. This is because under Virginia law, a mother has both sole legal and sole physical custody of a child born out of wedlock. This means that she has the legal right to dictate who is entitled to see the child, and when parenting time or visitation may occur, (even though it may not work to her advantage later).

So when you feel like you are being treated like a second class citizen when it comes to spending time with your child, there is something that you can do about it. Indeed, the process may be long and change does not come easy, but it is certainly worth the time and effort that you put into it. If you have questions about how to protect your rights before being denied parenting time, or if you need more information and guidance about how to begin the process, an experienced family law attorney can help. 

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

contact the firm

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

contact info brand logo

Manassas Law Office
9300 W Courthouse Road
Suite 204
Manassas, VA 20110

Phone: 703-639-4706
Phone: 703-530-7022
Fax: 703-884-1140
Manassas Law Office Map

Fairfax Law Office
10505 Judicial Drive
Suite 203
Fairfax, VA 22030

Phone: 703-639-4706
Map & Directions