Helping People Through Tough Drug Charges
The state of Virginia is known for being tough on drugs, which makes it even more important to have a strong lawyer by your side who is willing to fight for you and your rights. At Dougherty Tobias Iszard, Northern Virginia Law, P.C., we understand how serious these charges are, and the consequences that can come with them. We are proven attorneys who are determined to help, and will provide you with support and encouragement throughout the entire process.
Drug Possession In Virginia
Charges for drug felony in Virginia vary greatly depending on the substance and amount. They are broken down into different schedules with different penalties as follows:
- Marijuana: First offense is a misdemeanor that leads up to 30 days in jail and $500 fine. Second offense leads to 12 months in jail and fine up to $2,500.
- Schedule I and II: Heroin, cocaine, LSD and methamphetamine possession leads to two to 10 years in prison and a fine up to $2,500.
- Schedule III: Possession of Codeine and other drugs such as opioids leads up to 12 months in jail and $2,500 fine.
- Schedule IV: Possession of Valium, Xanax and other sedatives and tranquilizers leads up to six months in jail and $1,000 fine.
First time offenders with no history of violent crime may receive probation and undergo drug treatment if they plead guilty to drug possession.
Drug Distribution Laws In Virginia
The severity of drug distribution offenses varies depending on weight and type of drug. Selling marijuana can get you sentenced for one to 30 years in prison depending on the amount.
- Schedule I and II: Five to 40 years in prison, fine up to $500,000.
- Schedule III or IV: One to 10 years in prison and fine up to $2,500.
These penalties are not exact, and just because you are charged does not mean you will be convicted. We will fight for you and build a strong criminal defense strategy.
If You Are Charged With A Drug Crime, Call Now For A Tough Attorney
Do not lose hope, we are ready to help you take action. To schedule a free consultation to discuss your case, call 703-639-4706 or complete our intake form. Our attorneys serve the Northern Virginia area from our offices in Manassas and Fairfax.