Handling Same-Sex And Unmarried Couples’ Issues
At Dougherty Tobias Iszard, Northern Virginia Law, P.C., we have a progressive, full-service family law practice that recognizes the important concerns of same-sex and unmarried couples. At our offices in Manassas and Fairfax, you can sit down with a caring, knowledgeable lawyer who will address your unique concerns and propose creative yet legally sound solutions.
Reliable, Experienced Counsel On Custody, Support And Property Issues
With the legalization of same-sex marriage, divorce cases are handled the same way as divorces for heterosexual couples. However, couples in long-term, same-sex relationships and unmarried couples do have enforceable protections when it comes to children and property. We assist people across a wide range of cultural spectrum with issues such as:
- Formation of a contract (similar to a prenuptial agreement) that will govern distribution of jointly owned property should you ever separate — or representation in a contract dispute
- Resolution of child support issues that arise between same-sex parents, married or not, including pursuit of initial determinations and enforcement actions when necessary
- Guidance and clarification on parental rights issues such as whether preference will be given to a biological or an adoptive parent
- The need for assertive, trial-proven representation in dispute over child custody and/or visitation
- Estate planning for people in same-sex or other committed relationships, including the drafting of medical directives to ensure a life partner can make decisions for you
Turn To A Northern Virginia Attorney For Unmarried Couples’ Disputes
Whether your situation calls for an attorney with same-sex couples’ representation experience or a versatile, balanced advocate for you as an unmarried parent, our firm may be the optimum resource. To request an in-depth consultation and analysis of your legal concerns, we encourage you to contact our firm online, or call 703-639-4706.